If you are being chased by Atradius Collections for debts that you have not paid, then unfortunately you may have been victim to some of the sleaziest collection tactics used by Australian debt collectors today.
A simple fact in today’s climate, debt collectors have got a lot more aggressive and in many documented cases, clearly breached the law in bullying and pressurising the vulnerable.
Are you right now, afraid to answer the unrecognised number ringing your mobile, reply to the threatening text messages demanding you pay, or receiving ridiculous red coloured letters, saying if you don’t pay they will visit your unit?
Atradius Collections. Don’t pay them, read this why
Check and dispute your Credit file Today
One unfortunate factor with being in debt, is that companies will put a default on your credit file, which will stop you being able to get credit. Many people run out of money before payday and often need a little bit of credit/loan to get them to the next payday and sort themselves out. So one tactic I would suggest, is to access for free you credit file and have a look quickly to see if there are any defaults on your name and if there is, then click dispute next to all of them. I have found many times companies put defaults on your file much earlier than they should, so you can sometimes clear your file/improve your credit score straightaway. The free one I used was this one
Although most collectors stay within the bounds of the law, others behave in ways that are outrageous, heartless and/or just plain illegal. OK, let’s start from the beginning. By taking their business to pieces, you will see that hiding behind the mask of fear and bullying, it is in fact YOU that is control, not them.
Before I start though, I know there are lot of people being chased at all hours at home and work for large debts with Lion Finance that are endlessly growing. If you are stressed and need help to simply resolve the debt, there are several tactics you can use. Please use the, ‘Contact Us Now’ form on the right hand side and send me an email with your current situation and I will help you. I will reply to everybody, thanks.
Beginning of the month, money all gone, what to do now?
We have all been there, monthly salary comes in and then somehow 80% of its all gone in 5days. Endless debt cycles and bill payments you were not expecting are a constant drain on life. So try this, one tactic whilst I was in debt the whole time with these companies and unable to get a second job, was to work from my smartphone/laptop. It is really easy and you can do it whilst watching TV/in bed or on the bus, you just spend 10mins a day online using, ‘get paid for your opinion’ websites. You go to the website, pick a survey to complete, click and answer some questions and you get cash or vouchers for Coles, Myers etc. I did it everyday and you earn immediately as they are free to join. The largest free one I used was this one
- DCA’s are a business, 99% are not here to help you or listen to your problems. Dog died, car on fire, lost your wallet? They don’t care….Imagine a room with 100 people sitting at individual desks, with headsets on. These sales people are paid a bonus in accordance to how much they can get you to pay off the debt.
- The staff at these call centres have morning meetings before they begin. Here, they are given tactics on how to get you to pay e.g. ‘ …tell them we have their neighbours’/bosses number and we will ask them for the money’….or…’if you don’t pay today, we will make arrangements to have your parents’ car taken away and sold off to pay off the debt’. The bosses at these companies tell the staff how much money they expect each of them to collect by the end of the day. When these people call you, talking/negotiating with them is as effective as double sided playing card
- Where do they get the debts?…..they buy them, and in bulk . They have sales guys that target banks, institutions, mobile phone operators and buy a large collection of these debts for a % of the debt. What does this mean?….Let’s say your debt from Bank ‘A’ is an old credit card and was for $1678…….usually the DCA buys it for 10-20% of original value. However they will demand full amount, plus, their own charges on top. So they pay around $300 and try and get over $2000 off you, and over a fixed agreed time, you can begin to see why they make so much money and don’t care about personal circumstances.
Now they have a database of all these debts in front of them with telephone numbers and addresses given from the original debtor…now what? They want cash from you, as quick as possible , with the least amount of effort on their part. So now they adopt various methods of achieving that…….
- A standard letter is sent to you, asking for the amount, plus charges back. Often breaching Aussie guidelines and making official looking documents intended or likely to, mislead debtors as to their status, for example, documents made to resemble court claims.
- Phone calls – A favourite tactic – calling you about 5-10 times a day, on every number they have to contact you, mobile, home and work. Sometimes sending texts and asking you to call them back on premium rate numbers (which is illegal) Imagine the above happening to you everyday for the next month. This is physical/psychological harassment, it is illegal and once again something else that you can stop.
- Now they will begin the nasty and often illegal tactics if they still have no success collecting the full amount, these include – which are all illegal -contacting you at unreasonable times, ignoring legitimate wishes in respect of when and where to contact you, claiming instructions from the courts, claiming to be bailiffs. Falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally cannot us a business name which implies public body status, or falsely implying or stating that failure to pay a debt is a criminal offence or that criminal proceedings will be brought if debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments, or to increase payments when they are unable to do so. All of which are illegal
Atradius Collections. Don’t pay them, read this why
Now you have a much better understanding of who you are dealing with and more importantly who. I will be writing in my next article,
How to fight them, to write off old debts, slash the amount they are demanding, to stop all telephone/texts from them and make them communicate only in letter…in fact a list of 50 key points you can use to take back control and power from them!