If you are after Help Debt Repayment for debts that you have not paid, then unfortunately you may have been victim to some of the sleaziest collection tactics used by Australian debt collectors today.
A simple fact in today’s climate, debt collectors have got a lot more aggressive and in many documented cases, clearly breached the law in bullying and pressurising the vulnerable.
Debt Collection companies are very effective at portraying themselves as scary, relentless and with all the power. If right now they have contacted you, either by calling, email or letter then they are not going to go anywhere. They will simply get worse, by ramping up the effort to get you to pay, calling your work, neighbours and visiting your unit/house. Eventually they will simply go to court and get a judgment against you, to repossess and sell your assets or garnish your wages every week/month. However, there are many strategies and tactics you can adopt to beat them and they are so heavily regulated, you can also use the system to get rid of them. Why should you pay a $30,000 debt with added interest and charges, when Baycorp bought it off the bank for $1500!?
If you are being bullied for Help Debt Repayment right now, do this
I beat one of the largest debt collectors 4 years ago on a very large debt they said I owed. Interest kept being added, daily calls to my work/neighbours and threats to leave me homeless by taking my house, which I thought can’t possibly be allowed/legal. 12months of researching commonwealth consumer protection laws, ACCC and ASIC guidelines, I decided to challenge them on 23 key points. Now I started this website 4 years ago to help people feeling trapped and bullied with nowhere to turn. I will gladly help you beat them too, send me an email using the ‘Contact Us‘ form on the right hand side of this page, tell me your situation and Ill help as many people as I can.
Although most collectors stay within the bounds of the law, others behave in ways that are outrageous, heartless and/or just plain illegal. OK, let’s start from the beginning. By taking their business to pieces, you will see that hiding behind the mask of fear and bullying, it is in fact YOU that is control, not them.
- DCA’s are a business, 99% are not here to help you or listen to your problems. Dog died, car on fire, lost your wallet? They don’t care….Imagine a room with 100 people sitting at individual desks, with headsets on. These sales people are paid a bonus in accordance to how much they can get you to pay off the debt.
- The staff at these call centres have morning meetings before they begin. Here, they are given tactics on how to get you to pay e.g. ‘ …tell them we have their neighbours’/bosses number and we will ask them for the money’….or…’if you don’t pay today, we will make arrangements to have your parents’ car taken away and sold off to pay off the debt’. The bosses at these companies tell the staff how much money they expect each of them to collect by the end of the day. When these people call you, talking/negotiating with them is as effective as double sided playing card
- Where do Debt Collection companies get the debts?…..they buy them, and in bulk . They have sales guys that target banks, institutions, mobile phone operators and buy a large collection of these debts for a % of the debt. What does this mean?….Let’s say your debt from Bank ‘A’ is an old credit card and was for $1678…….usually the DCA buys it for 10-20% of original value. However they will demand full amount, plus, their own charges on top. So they pay around $300 and try and get over $2000 off you, and over a fixed agreed time, you can begin to see why they make so much money and don’t care about personal circumstances.
Help Debt Repayment and being chased by debt collectors
Now they have a database of all these debts in front of them with telephone numbers and addresses given from the original debtor…now what? They want cash from you, as quick as possible , with the least amount of effort on their part. So now they adopt various methods of achieving that…….
- A standard letter BayCorp Debt Collection is sent to you, asking for the amount, plus charges back. Often breaching Aussie guidelines and making official looking documents intended or likely to, mislead debtors as to their status, for example, documents made to resemble court claims.
- Phone calls – A favourite tactic – calling you about 5-10 times a day, on every number they have to contact you, mobile, home and work. Sometimes sending texts and asking you to call them back on premium rate numbers (which is illegal) Imagine the above happening to you everyday for the next month. This is physical/psychological harassment, it is illegal and once again something else that you can stop.
- Now they will begin the nasty and often illegal tactics if they still have no success collecting the full amount, these include – which are all illegal -contacting you at unreasonable times, ignoring legitimate wishes in respect of when and where to contact you, claiming instructions from the courts, claiming to be bailiffs. Falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally cannot us a business name which implies public body status, or falsely implying or stating that failure to pay a debt is a criminal offence or that criminal proceedings will be brought if debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments, or to increase payments when they are unable to do so. All of which are illegal
Check and dispute your Credit file Today
One unfortunate factor with being in debt, is that companies will put a default on your credit file, which will stop you being able to get credit. Many people run out of money before payday and often need a little bit of credit/loan to get them to the next payday and sort themselves out. So one tactic I would suggest, is to access for free you credit file and have a look quickly to see if there are any defaults on your name and if there is, then click dispute next to all of them. I have found many times companies put defaults on your file much earlier than they should, so you can sometimes clear your file/improve your credit score straightaway. The free one I used was this one
Help Debt Repayment and being chased by debt collectors
Now you have a much better understanding of who you are dealing with and more importantly who Debt Collection companies are.
So do not panic and let this company takeover your life, nothing gives me greater joy than helping people who are receiving harrasment and threats from them. On the right hand side there is a “Contact us for Help” form, simply put your name in and tell me what your situation is and I will help you stop them too!